|Location:||New York City, NY|
Hospitality Design magazine, the premier trade magazine for the hospitality design industry, is seeking a managing editor to join its growing team.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Manage and oversee the print production and digital production of the magazine from initial layout through final proofs
- Line edit, proofread/copyedit, and traffic all pages
- Work with the team to manage and edit online content
- Assist the editor in chief and executive editor with plans for editorial content
- Manage relationships with freelance writers and photographers as needed
- Enforce external deadlines and manage invoice payments
- Establish and maintain relations with industry professionals and advertisers
- Seek out new interior design projects for coverage in the magazine and online
- Write stories about interior design projects, industry news, design trends, and people as assigned/needed
- Assist with the magazine’s social media platforms as needed
- Assist in coordination of annual projects and events, including the HD Awards, HD Expo, and Platinum Circle Awards
- Attend and cover industry trade shows and conferences.
- Represent the magazine at various industry events and functions.
As a qualified candidate you will have :
- Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, Communications, or related field. Graduates of design-related degrees with strong writing and editing skills will also be considered.
- 6-8 years experience in publishing
- Strong writing and copyediting skills
- Proficiency in Photoshop or related image-editing program for basic photo resizing
- Proficiency in InDesign and/or InCopy
- Knowledge or strong interest in interior design and architecture
- Strong communication, writing, editing, and interpersonal skills.
- Proficiency in Word and Excel, and rich text word processing programs (Text Edit, Notepad, etc.).
- Proficiency in social media and blogging strategy a plus
IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL ALSO HAVE:
- Experience desired working cooperatively and diplomatically with staff and freelance authors. Must have the ability to do the same with designers, some of whom may be prominent figures in their field, and their representatives.
- Excellent writing and communication skills, tact, sensitivity, and mature judgment are required.
- Must be self-motivated and work effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be extraordinarily organized and driven, able to work successfully both individually and as part of a team.
- The ability to work with multiple articles and projects simultaneously, and work independently while managing multiple and sequential deadlines is required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the aptitude to build and maintain productive relationships are essential.